Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Holiday Post


I think I had to do one large post last year too... at this time of year, things just get away from me. Between putting up the Christmas lights, tree, decorations, etc and the myriad of social engagments its a tough gig being a mom during the holidays -- I know many of you will agree. Now, if I could just keep everyone out of the Christmas tree! Especially the cat...

I will try to make this post as succinct as possible and bring you up to date.

The weather here has vascilated between 20 degrees and 75 degrees almost weekly. We take heavy coats and light jackets to school every day just in case.


Because it has been so cold outside, we've been trying to find fun things to do inside. Magic especially liked the showing of Wrath of Khan on a sheet/projector in the living room. He has a definite fondness for Spock...
To help save Mr. Spock, Eric and Daddy made Magic his own scratching post.
Sophia has really been growing! Not just in size, but in ability. She can do things now that Dan couldn't do until a year old. I think she is trying to keep up! She loves the kitchen...

And she has been holding her own lately when Daniel tries to take over her toys, the book she is reading, or anything else that happens to be in her hands. She squawks at him loudly and points her little index finger at him in a menacing fashion. She's learning.
But, they can play together nicely as well.



Here is Eric trying to teach Sophia how to walk the same way Mark taught Eric. He got down on his hands and knees and crawled around next to Fi as she held on for balance.


She even helps fold the laundry

Here is Woob looking unbelievably like the teenager he will soon be

We were lucky enough to have Grammy and Grumpy for Thanksgiving this year. Uncle Ken and his friend Christian came to share the holiday as well. Because it was Christian's first Thanksgiving, the kids were kind enough to share everything with him... sweet potatoes, holiday lights and strep throat (sorry Christian and Uncle Ken).



Sophia helped herself at her very first Thanksgiving.
This is her "What? Like you never ate with your hands before Uncle Ken" look:
Grammy got to experience the joy of following a rapidly moving Fi around the house as she attempts to put all foreign objects in her mouth. It was nice to have some backup for this duty for a little while :-)


Little Bear appears to have worn Grumpy out...

Daniel has had a very busy social schedule that has required the whole family to come along. He has had birthday party after birthday party. This one at the bounce house place was a lot of fun. Mark and I even got to play. I really needed that after a LONG semester of teaching a lot of classes!


Here Dan is obviously an old pro at this cake thing and wants to hurry the process along...


The kids also had their holiday party at school. Dan wore his suspenders and many of the children came up to him and said he looked like "Grumpy." Grumpy is a superstar at the daycare.
Dan sang and Sophia waved at him while he stood on the makeshift stage. Then Santa Claus came for a visit. This is the first year Dan would approach the jolly old elf.
Sophia's reaction was not as accepting.
However, she just looked so darn cute!
Finally, Little Bear was supposed to be an angel in the Nativity play at church. We did get him into his costume for approximately 20 minutes, but then I realized that asking a three-year old to do this is a little much. I didn't want him to get the reputation as the "fallen angel" so we packed it in before the play started. Next year he'll be old enough I'm sure.

So, we went to the children's museum instead, where Daddy got to pass on his love of cars to yet another child.

I finally was able to find a great spot for the awesome stained glass piece that Aunt Lynne gave us at Fi's baptism. It catches the light just right in the morning sunshine.

Dan has been able to spell his name (and many other words) for a long time now, but he is just beginning to learn how to write his letters. We're working on it.

I took the boys to go see the newest kids flick at the movies. It did have a catchy theme song which Daniel really seems to enjoy. This clip reminds me of one Emilie Gramly and her "pretty camera" dance...


Here is Sophia standing all by herself for the first time!


And finally, with the economy in the tanker, we have been trying to find ways to have fun around the house -- we are desperate!



We hope you all are having a very Merry Christmas and a very relaxed holiday season.



No comments: